Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tech: Google: Aims to add every d*** service to its apps

Oh yeah. "Google is going to make sure [that] users of its Apps productivity and collaboration software can tap all of the company's services, according to Dave Girouard, president of the company's enterprise group, in a colorful tweet on Twitter," says the subhead of a press release that was reported by Chris Kanaracus and Juan Carlos Perez a year ago (April 09,2009) on a website for professionals  CIO [for Chief Information Officer].  Since I use Google's Blogger a lot, I not only make a furtive effort to monitor the motherload from time to time, but also I want to celebrate the improvements Blogger has made since Google took it over, adding it to its ever-growing portfolio of web services.  On this blog, I also use Google Reader  as "Owlbird's eclectic reader" to make available a selection of posts by interesting others, curiosity-peaking/-piquing posts to other blogs; this retitled feature is located the sidebare on refWrite page 3.

On the "social networking" medium, Twitter, of all places!  Coud it be that Google now owns Twitter too?

Technotes, by Owlie Scowlie
today featuring our publisher as a guest blogger for this column

When I last culled thru my Google Reader RSS grabs from these other blogs on my RSS feeds to Google Reader, I found myself making making comments on those blog posts, as the Reader allows.  I hoped they woud appear on my grabs on rW page 3.  But that didn't wash out technically, or shoud I say?, the attempt was a washout.  I was hoping too that my posts on those other blogs coud be cross-referenced to my coComments facility (not a Google facility). My use of coComment was intended to collect all my comments on the blogs of others, collect them from their diaspora in one place moderated by me. (If you go to coComment's homepage, enter "Semaphore" in the upper r+ search slot to get to my stuff.  Semaphore is the refWrite secretary for coComments, so she's a kind of secretary of foreign affairs. And, thus, like the rest of the refWrite staff, she's fictional -- cofictional and cofactual.)

But that coComment wish too, like posting to Google Reader RSS blog-entries for my refWrite readers,  seems unfeasible technically, for one reason or another (like the fact that the other blogs have their own moderation of comments).  Sad fact is that my coComments usage has been moribund for sometime, yet I have carried it on refWrite page 2's sidebar in all its glaring moribunditty -- perhaps I was settling for the simple idea a hope that the techical breakthru coud eventually be realized in regard to my more scattered written comments in the broader blogosphere, yet tie them all back for those refWrite readers who wanted to avail themselves of such an opportunity.

Back to Google stuff: Additionally I have a Gmail account where I get daily posts from trade lists like TidBits, Web Standards Group (tho I don't shine in meeting accessibility goals, partly because I barely have a website presence on the Internet), and CSS Digest (Cascading Style Sheets, is it?  I want to learn how to create a website, and do so).  I use iGoogle as a news hub, as well as a Google Search site -- altho I have many news sources, or as I like to call them "newshorses" or you coud call them "newswhoreses" (many of them are secularistically unprincipled, so Christian news outlets have no monopoly on being unprincipial).

And there's more reliance on Google laying behind what refWrite publishes.  I don't consider BlogSpot, which is another Google facility related to Blogger, to be the publisher of refWrite. but I coud go with copulisher.  That, refWrite folks, is me.  I'm accompanied by a fictional staff.  Not wanting to be stingy with terms, I coud go with the idea that BlogSpot is my copulisher.  It too has seen fabulous improvements since Google became its owner.  One ngging technical problem I'm facing is the complex task of adding a "Read More..." structure to my template, so that a lengthy blog appears in full on the indivudual blog-entry page, but only an intro or start of an entry appears on the mainpage, one for each of the 4 refWrite pages, and refWrite refBloggers Insert (a kind of page 5) devoted to problems of censorship of blogs in the various countries and persecution of bloggers around the globe.  This latter page is decvoted to freedom of the press, the "blogging press."

So, thank you, Google and Blogger and BlogSpot, from all of us at refWrite.

Yours for the meanwhyled,

-- Albert Gedraitis, publisher

No comments: