Friday, May 21, 2010

Sports: Hockey NorthAmerica: Philly's Flyers set a new record in great game

Of all places, the meritorious deeds of the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team have been sung on the venerated full-scroll blogpage of The Volokh Conspiracy, by Jonathan H. Adler (May14,2k10).

A Historic Victory

Tonight the Philadelphia Flyers overcame a 3–0 deficit to win the seventh game of their playoff series with the Boston Bruins – a series in which they had trailed 3–0. In the process they became only the third NHL team to win a seven-game series after losing the first three games, and the first such team in 35 years. Now the seventh-seeded Flyers will face the eighth-seeded Montreal Canadiens in the Eastern Conference finals — and that has to be a historic match-up as well. Go Flyers!

[Note: I went back and forth over “a historic” and “an historic,” eventually settling on the former.]


While I definitely root for the Flyers against the Bruins, when the game between the Canadiens vs Flyers comes up in our Eastern Conference finals of the National Hockey League (it's really binational, of course), I  root for the outstanding Canadian team this season.  Go Montreal! Go Canadiens!

I grew up in Philly, I visited and performed my poems in Montreal, and I've never even been to Boston (tho I watch Boston Legal and Crossing Jordan - about the tuff lady detective who does autopsies in the morgue and is loved unrequitedly by police officer Woody ... such is love in the morgue).

No comments: