Sunday, May 23, 2010

Music: Country: Little Big Town band sensation, and Carrie Underwood's glam country


At the moment, I'm listening to / watching on TV a wonderful Country Music band called Little Big Town which I never heard before. The program was a combination of interview with the four principals and excellent full-length showcases of the outstanding songs on their new first video album (it also comes strait-up in an audio-only version, it seems). Little White Church and Boondocks are among the excellent songs featured on the vidalbum. Oops!, the shows over, so I look up the band on the Net. And the homepage of their webs+t resounds with one of their original songs, Little White Church, with pictures of band members on the screen.


By the way, they're in the running for a First Video honour at the Great American Country Awards -- but sorry the daily voting is over, closed already.  Gee, when's the event?  I can't find it on the s+t, can't find it on the s+t.

Country Pop, by Music Girl

While I'm at on the theme of Country Music, I recently saw a TV music show that played lots of Carrie Underwood, a new video album, I think. The visuals were fantastic, and they seemed to be a perfect fit to the lyrics and Carrie sang them. Because of the visuals, her blonde presence, and her dresses and outfits (heitening the colour schematization thru-out), I thawt I'd add a label to this visioaudition, something like "glam country" or "costume country." But the video collaging was much wider than those labels suggest. And I liked her vocalizations in tandem with her neo-Country lyrics, trying to speak of the sound aside from the visuals. No, that doesn't say exactly what I'm trying to get at.

During her recent tour date to Hamilton, Ontario, Ms. Underwood was labelled "Country-pop." That definitely is part of her persona as a singer celehrity. On the same tour, Carrie played also in Ottawa her home town and the capital of Canada.

No comments: