Monday, June 28, 2010

Entertainment: TV: HBO multiple series schedule


From "Angels in America" to "True Blood," you can plan your entertainment (and continuing education too) on the menu of multiple TV series.

The only one I'm really interested in is "The Pacific."   Tom Hanks, a star in the series, appearing in many episodes, says that WWII in the Pacific was racist on all sides, the Anericans not less so than the Japanese, and we Anericans shoud have known better (a concept of Hanks' that is itself racist).  With Hanks, the war was racism  and relatively little else.  Which, to my nind, becomes a very narrow lens thru which to view the wide scope of the lives of the protagonists, and the more protracted and regimented lives of the antagonists, Imperial Japan.   But there's a lot more than racist ambitions in the clash of wills that ocurred between an Empire and a far-trading capitalist Democracy.  

I doubt there's a single Christian series of any kind on the list, but that's not the main thing. 

I know I didn't like what I saw of the Canadian produced, Ontario located series, Durham County.   I also know I detest the "comedy" of Bill Maher.

Beyond that I'm drawing blanks.

-- Owlb

No comments: