Saturday, April 28, 2007

Technics: Internet: WorkHack is an online personal to-do list that emphasizes simplicity

Simplicity of access, that's one of WorkHack's beauties. I encountered it on the email newsletter put out by Read/Write Web which features analysis of online writing for online reading. It does so quite excellently in the article, "WorkHack redefines 'simple' task management" (Apr26,2k7) by Josh Cantone.

Simplicity of privacy, but you don't even have to register to access your private page. How this is accomplished will amaze some old habitues of the web, with this Web 2.0 cutie.

Simplicity of preferences, whether you use each or not; there's a mercifully small number of pref options. Just to get stuff off my desktop and free up bits of memory-capacity, I've tried To-Do lists before, both online and off (on my computer desktop). So when Josh Cantone says--

To-do lists should be simple, or so claims WorkHack, a task list web app that takes simple to a whole new level. There are very nearly no features to WorkHack.
Technotes, by Technowlb
There is no sign up, no tagging, no due dates, no multi-user support. Just to-do lists, organized into three priority categories (High, Medium, and Low) and sorted by color or size.
--you'll have to forgive my skepticism. But besides skeptical, I was also intrigued. So, I've been trying WorkHackfor myself, in the mini-size. That way, I can have a desktopful of blogging windows in view, pause to call up WordHack for viewing or for making a quick new entry, then close WH and go back to my work at hand.

I've decided to give it a real try, and so far it is superior to any online To-Do list I've used (like Remember the Milk with 100,000 users and as many bells & whistles ... and most online calendars used for basic to-do matters, as well, like 30 Boxes that I tried to use for to-doing). Changing my previous use-strategies, my experiment with WH involves splitting my refWrite tasks off from everything else, and keeping on my desktop in the main menu-bar an app called Check Off where I store a list of all the other things I want to get done--but include no rW tasks. Sad to say, Check-off will not work for some of you, as this desktop menu-bar app is only for Mac OSX users.

No comments: